Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandan Yojana (PMMVY)
Objective of Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY):
To provide compensation for loss of wages to working women and to ensure their proper rest and nutrition. Improving the health of pregnant women and lactating mothers and reducing the impact of under-nutrition through cash incentives.
The PMMVY is a component under the sub-scheme ‘Samarthya’ of the newly launched ‘Mission Shakti’, an umbrella scheme for safety, security and empowerment of women. The revamped PMMVY under Mission Shakti now also aims to promote positive behavioral change towards girl child by providing additional cash incentive for the second child, if that is a girl child.
The following changes in the salient features of PMMVY have been introduced with effect from 01.04.2022 with the launch of new Mission Shakti:
The scheme is to provide maternity benefits to women belonging to socially and economically disadvantaged sections of society;
- The maternity benefit is to be provided to a woman for the first two living children provided the second child is a girl;
- For the first child the maternity benefit of ₹5000 is provided in two instalments under PMMVY and the beneficiary is also entitled to receive the cash incentive as per approved norms towards Maternity Benefit under Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) after institutional delivery so that on an average ,a women gets ₹6000
- For the second child, the benefit of ₹6000 is to be provided subject to second child is a girl child, in one installment after the birth;
- The beneficiary’s husband’s Aadhaar is not mandatory for availing the benefits under the Scheme;
- Cases of miscarriage/still births are to be treated as fresh cases for providing maternity benefit under the scheme.
The Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) will not be applicable for lower category pregnant women and lactating mothers.
1. Those who are in regular employment with the Central or State Government or any Public Sector Undertaking.
2. Those who are recipients of similar benefits under any other scheme or Law.
The scheme will benefit pregnant women and lactating mothers during the birth of the first live child. The benefit amount of the scheme will be sent directly to the bank account of the beneficiary through DBT. As per reports, the government will pay the amount in the following installments.
1st Installment: Rs.1000 at the time of registration of pregnancy
2nd Installment: Rs.2000, if the beneficiary undergoes at least one antenatal checkup after six months of pregnancy.
Third installment:2000, when the birth of the child is registered and the child begins the first cycle of vaccines including BCG, OPV, DPT and Hepatitis-B.
How to Apply
- Check Enrolments under PMMVY : https://tinyurl.com/2ysr8ka7